Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My Learning Style(s)

Until now, I always thought I was a visual learner, which means I learn best by actually seeing information about the topic I am studying.  But when we took the Gardner and Gregorc tests in ROGATE, I realized that there are many more learning styles than just hands-on, visual, and auditory.  There are also other ones like logical (which I so am not), spatical , musical, and bodily-kinesthetic.  Here are the results I got on the learning style tests. 
Gardner... Linguistic, Intrapersonal, Interpersonal, Musical, and Body-Kinesthetic (I got the highest score in Linguistic, though)
Gregorc... Abstract Random
I think that in some ways these categories describe me well (ex. humorous, imaginative, colorful), but in other ways, I think that there is more to learning than that.  I believe that the way someone learns also depends on their willingness to learn, whether or not they open their minds to new topics and ideas.  I think that my learning style is a combination of all of them.  I am curious and inventive (concrete random), but I also enjoy reading and debating (abstract sequential).  So, I guess you could just say that my learning style is a mix of different styles!
Here are some people that I look up to/admire and what learning styles I think they have.
My Mom... Concrete Sequential 
My Dad... Logical/Mathmatical
Julie Andrews... Musical
Marie Curie... Concrete Random
Knowing what kind of learning styles I have can help me study and do better in school now that I know the best methods to help me learn as an individual.

I commented on Christina and Charles' posts.



8 comments:

  1. I think your philosophy on how one learns is great. It's true, the will to learn truly is part of learning itself. I take my hat off to you, good job for thinking about that.

    I, too, am a musical learner. Awesomesauce, great post. I enjoyed it. It made me think all deep and movie-like about the willingness to learn, and opening my mind to the world.

    Good job, miss Claire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina! I liked your post too.

      Delete
  2. WE NEED TO KNOW CLAIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the same as you for the Gardner Test (linguistic). But on the other test i did not get the same as you. strange...
    Anyway, i agree with you on the fact that you are a little bit of everything because I think the same thing about myself. None of the options truly represented any of us. I like how you added the statement about how it matters on your willingness to learn. that was a great way say what you wanted to get across!
    GREAT POST!

    Camille<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You needed to explain why you labeled your mom and dad those particular learning styles. Also, how could these test results help you in school?

    ReplyDelete